+

Monday, May 22, 2017

Cavities Can Be Healed!

I mean who knew right? No one teaches you this when you are in school, there aren't any news articles on it, not even your dentist recommends trying it. So how did I stumble across it? Well back in January my 3 year old was diagnosed with a small cavity between his 2 front teeth. Although devastating, this was no surprise. When flossing his teeth the dental floss would get caught on a mystery rigidness.I would literally have to tug it off. Even though I looked I couldn't see anything, so I reasoned he must have a cavity.

It was super frightening because she suggested capping both of his teeth and sedating him to do so, OR putting silver diamine fluoride 

on his teeth which would "arrest" the decay and turn the cavity black....no thanks.



  Silver Diamine Fluoride




The dentist said cavities between the front teeth in young children is common..almost a given. Except this isn't normal for me, I have 4 kids (one is only a year) and this is the first toddler to have a cavity. She asked if my son drank a lot of juice? Nope, maybe one small pouch a day. She acted as if we gave him tons of juice, and she wanted us to stop. Nope. My son refuses most food and juice. He will NOT eat fruits or vegetables except french fries and apple sauce/juice. The only meat he will eat is chicken nuggets, hot dogs, sausage, and bacon. Desserts are in the clear and most chips, most junk food too. Occasionally he will eat the toddler pouches that are fruit and veggie mixes. Those are good days. But like I said he won't do that often. It really sucks, and he is the only child I've had like this so far, so I am confused.


So we told her we'd think about it. But there was no way I would do oral sedation, that is crazy cakes. I have read so many horror stories about kids dying. Plus we had a bad experience with my second oldest daughter. When she was 7 she was given oral sedation (we couldn't be there either during the procedure) because she had two teeth coming up behind her bottom teeth which hadn't fallen out yet, so they pulled them. They said they were only giving her oral sedation, but sneakily gave her laughing gas as well. When I saw her with a mask on they said it was for oxygen. She was so out of it that she was hallucinating and trying to fight us screaming and crying. When I had called her dentist they said she was "fine". Months later when her top teeth had yet to fall out, here came her permanent teeth coming in again, and yet again the dentist wanted us to do oral sedation and remove them. When I told the dentist (a different one, there were 2 in practice together) what had happened before, he had frowned and said that was "weird". BUT STILL RECOMMENDED it!! I refused and let them fall out on their own!


This is why there was no way we were going through that with a 3 year old, it was too risky.So I went home and started tons of researching and had to sort through lots of info. I knew the special diets wouldn't work since my son won't eat. So I had to settle on a routine I knew we could do!


Brushing twice a day.. in the morning we brush with xylitol, floss, then pour ACT cavity protection on his tooth brush and put a dab of crest anticavity tooth paste on it and brush the cavity area and leave the toothpaste on the area.


increased milk and butter


decreased sweets..the first week or two it was nonexistent.


floss twice a day


give him Zellies xylitol candies after each meal 3 or 4 at a time.


here are pictures



















So far it looks a bit improved there is more white in the inner middle, and when we floss the floss goes down smoothly with just a hint of jaggedness on the end. If I went by that alone I would say his tooth is pretty much healed. Of course we will have to wait for his next dental visit, which is in July.
The brushing routine and candies are based on Dr. Ellie Phillips, and she invented the candies. I emailed her with my problem and she replied that she didn't agree with the surgery for a 3 year old. I am so happy I did research and found great information. Check out her site: http://zellies.com/zellies-story


I'm not getting paid or anything. It's just that when I was searching and in a panic any information was a big help. anyone out there with a similar story?









No comments:

Post a Comment